The automatic software update system requires two index files. The Client Side index file (UPDSHLC.XML) is used by the Updater and must be included with the application. The Server Side index file (UPDSHLS.XML) must be placed on a server (or your web server) that provides software update services. The following instructions describe how to use the UpdateShield Builder tool to build both index files.
1. Run UpdateShield Builder.
2. Click the Project button, and then select New to build a new project file or select Open to load a saved project file.
3. Under the Index Files tab, from the Program ID drop-down list, select the Program ID of your application.
4. In the Main Properties box, enter your software title and the latest version number (must be a higher number than the previous versions).
5. In the Client Side Index File Properties box, select Server Side Index URL. Then, enter the URL of the Server Side index file.
6. In the Server Side Index File Properties box, in the Download URL edit box, enter the URL of the update file for download. In the Description URL edit box, enter the URL that provides the update information.
7. In the Output Index Files box, in the Client Side Index File edit box, enter the location to save the Client Side index file. In the Server Side Index File edit box, enter the location to save the Server Side index file.
8. Click the Updater tab. In the Updater Options box, set the options as you want.
9. In the Update Runtime Settings box,
· Select Run the Update (Executable) if you want to the Updater to execute the downloaded file.
· Select Run the Commnad Line if you want the Updater to run a script file. Then, enter your script file name with the parameters (e.g. Inst.bat Setup.exe).
10. Click the Build button, and then select Build All.
11. Click the Project button, and then select Save to save the project file for future use.